Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Want the Ketchup Fights

"I want the house, Jan. I want the picket fence, I want the ketchup fights, and the tickling and the giggling." Michael Scott

Ah, don't we all?



Just about a week ago, after my lovely sister-in-law and brother-in-law left our house, a very serious tickle fight between Colin and I ensued. I say it was serious because I feel like I put up a really good fight! Strength was coming from nowhere! My husband can usually hold me where he wants me with one hand and tickle me with the other, and so the fact that I was actually getting a tickle in here and there meant that I was on fire! We didn't hear the texts on our phones notifying us that brother-in-law left his phone at our house and was coming back to retrieve it. Nor did we hear the knock on the door the first time. I'm not sure how long he stood out there, but when I finally heard it, jumping up to go answer it, I was a sight to see - hair all messed up, out of breath, and a wee bit sweaty. I opened up the door and he stood there, looking at me with an AWKWARD look on his face. "Um, I left my phone."

It suddenly occurred to me what it must look like. "We were having a tickle fight!" I blurted out.

"I just need my phone," brother-in-law said, and when I gave it to him he awkwardly said goodbye and hurried off, far, far away from whatever was going on inside my cottage.

It was so funny! Colin made so much fun of me for saying we were having a tickle fight. He says I sure do know how to make for an awkward moment, and he's right!

Anyway, three years ago from today, I married the man I now get to tickle (or I at least attempt to tickle), and I must say that though I've made a lot of dumb mistakes in my life, marrying Colin is the BEST decision I ever made!

I met him while leaving Braums one night with a group of friends, and while I'll spare you the whole story, I must write that as soon as I met him, a tiny, little voice in my head said, "You're going to marry that man." Colin says I pay way too much attention to that little voice in my head, but hey, it was right about him! And for the record, Colin heard a little voice too. And he doesn't usually have a little voice. Somehow, he knew he was going to marry me too. Go ahead and call us CRAZY - I like to call it love at first sight!

Colin is one of the warmest and friendliest people I've ever met. He always has a smile in those big brown eyes! When a little boy from my church was watching Pride and Prejudice with his mom, and Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley galloped in on their horses, he said, "Mom, these movies always make me think of Mr. Colin." And he's right! Colin is a kind-hearted gentleman, which was one of the first things I noticed and loved about him.

He's also strong and confident, a man who knows who he is and is not afraid to be himself around anybody and everybody. He will be anybody's friend, and can see the good in people, but he doesn't change himself for people. He is who he is, take him or leave him. I love that about him too.

It doesn't matter what the day holds; Colin approaches it with calmness and wisdom. He is cheery even when life asks a lot of him. He never complains. He makes me laugh! He truly seeks to love and serve the Lord in all things, and he is an amazing father to our son. We have had three years of ups and downs, but I am so thankful to be going through this life with a friend and a love like Colin - a man who reminds me of Christ. I don't deserve him, but I do accept him as a wonderful, unearned gift from my Heavenly Father, who must love me a whole, whole lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is like, the sweetest thing I've read in the longest time.

Tatersmama said...

Awwww... I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to wish you a "Happy Anniversary".

~~~
Okay, now if you're saying that you're in your prime , are you insinuating that I'm PAST my prime? Like an old side of beef that's past it's use-by date? Never mind - I already know the answer to that one. ;-)
*snort*

I'm enjoying your blog and thank you so much for stopping by mine. I hope to see you there again!

Christine said...

Cheryl - if I could be as sweet as you are funny than I'd actually have something worth blogging about. :) Thanks for reading.

Tatersmama - Haha, didn't mean to insinuate that you are not in your prime, mainly just wanted to say that I'm in my twenties and I couldn't DREAM of drinking a bottle of tequila! I can barely drink a glass of red wine without getting a headache. However, tonight husband and I actually celebrated our anniversary and so it included vodka, red wine and baileys, and I think I feel better than fine - so hurrah for that! Thanks for stopping by my blog too. :)