Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ew, Gross.

Today,I made the most disgusting cupcakes EVER.

I've been wanting to make this recipe for a long time. It's called "ice cream bread" and it's a super simple recipe that I've eaten a few times (at other people's houses) and liked. The recipe I quickly looked up online called for 2 cups of soft ice cream and 1 1/2 cups of self-rising flour. I was in the mood to bake something and thought it would be nice to send something in Colin's lunch, but I wasn't in the mood to go through a lot of trouble. So I thought ice cream bread, only made into cupcakes, would be perfect! And I had a gallon of Breyer's Triple Chocolate ice cream in my freezer, and self-rising flour in the pantry, so I was good to go!




Unfortunately...

The "batter" (I put it in quotation marks because it can hardly be described as such) looked like tarry, gooey globs of glue. Hmmmm, I thought, maybe add a little bit more ice cream? Then I tasted it, and it tasted HORRIBLE. Might this taste better baked? I wondered. I added a little bit more ice cream, to make the "batter" more batter-like and the taste more appealing. Then, taking a leap of faith, I greased a muffin pan, filled the tray, and baked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


And wow. What emerged from the oven is inedible. It looks like a cupcake. But it doesn't smell like a cupcake, and sure does NOT taste like a cupcake! I get a little sick just thinking about the grossness of the final product.

Maybe this wasn't a good ice cream bread recipe to use. Perhaps someday I'll be courageous enough to try it again using different ratios. Right now though, I'm just trying to work up the courage to scrape these muffins out of the muffin tray, which is about the last thing I feel like doing right now, given their strange odor and texture. Ick!


2 comments:

Erin said...

All that triple chocolate ice cream wasted! Was it ML's recipe? I wonder what went wrong!

Anonymous said...

Really?? Because that picture totally looks delicious..

http://www.epicurious.com
it's my favorite recipe website.