Monday, October 5, 2009

Micah's getting his Boom Boom on

Micah gets his happy face and his tendency toward being dramatic from me.




He gets his big, "chocolate almond milk brown eyes" (his words), his love for finding out how things work, and his interest in all things gun-related from his daddy.



But Micah is his own person, and some things he gets from neither of us. Like, apparently, his taste in music.





We were on our way to the zoo the other day, and Black Eyed Peas' new song, "Boom Boom Pow" came on one of the radio stations I frequent. Micah, who was busy talking to his friends in the back seat, paused and then requested, "Turn it louder!" Curious to see what would happen, I did, and watched as he intently listened to the music, sort of in awe of it. Since Black Eyed Peas aren't really my thing, I gave him several seconds and then thought I'd change it. As soon as I did, he became a bit distraught. "Turn it back!" he begged. I humored him, mainly because it was humoring me, and watched as he quietly listened and bopped his head to the beat. I endured the next two minutes or so, and when it was over, was surprised to see Micah start tearing up. "I want da boom boom song!" he whined. "Turn it to da boom boom song?" I tried to explain that I couldn't control the songs that came on the radio, but to no avail. Micah (and his friends) begged for the "Boom Boom song" all the way to the zoo. And what do you know, they almost had the title right!


HOURS later, I loaded the kids back into the suburban to go home and sleep, assuming the "Boom Boom" song was long forgotten as I had completely forgotten it myself. But as soon as I turned on the car, the requests began from the back seat. For the next twenty minutes, I listened to my son and his friend beg me to turn on da boom boom song. Who knew my kid had a thing for rap?
For those of you who don't know this "Boom Boom" song, here's a youtube link*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F444CELomo

Watching the video of this song brought a smile to my face, as it was obvious that these people KNOW they're cool. They just don't know that they're cool in my precious little boy's eyes, which is too bad, because I think that's pretty significant (and very amusing)!

*DISCLAIMER: Not to state the obvious, but if you watch this video, beware that Fergie does not adorn herself in the modest apparel that becomes women professing godliness. But I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that!


7 comments:

Erin said...

That song drives me CRAZY! I will actually get off the treadmill to change it...and you KNOW I'm a fan of bad music :-)

Megan said...

Love him love him LOVE him!!! Tell him to stop growing, though... when did he become a little boy?

smithec said...

wait... you said this came on one of the radio stations you frequent? i am curious about this, friend...

and i want to have a dance party with micah next time i'm in town! i will play the boom boom song whenever he wants to hear it!

Christine said...

Haha, it's just 105.3 The Buzz, they play a lot of Taylor Swift, The Fray, and Jason Mraz too. :)

Kayla said...

I think he gets it from his Aunt Kayla :)

petie mae said...

"M. Kelly" is a great stage name for a future white rapper:) And i LOVE how he described his eyes:)

Erin said...

Um, hello. This is just a friendly reminder that YOU HAVE A BLOG :-)

Love you.