Friday, April 3, 2009

Recent Discoveries

Lately, Micah has been discovering some new things.

For instance, blue paint. A few days ago I left him alone in his high chair for two minutes with a small jar of blue paint and a piece of construction paper. Yes, there was a paint brush, but really, I think it's clear that I haven't been getting enough sleep lately because, what was I thinking? If the paint brush got used, I'll never know. What almost two-year-old wouldn't want to dig right in? Apparently, those two minutes were just that important to me.

Another discovery? Pockets. Micah realized he had them one day and now he loves them. My favorite is when he's wearing his peacoat at church and he's got his hands in the pockets of his dress pants. He looks so Brooks Brothers!

But before you think my son is a preppy snob, let me tell you about Micah's favorite discovery: the river. He can't get enough of it! He and Daddy go down there on a regular basis to throw sticks and rocks into the water and see if they can spot a passing duck or boat. The only problem is that with all the rain, sleet and snow we've had recently, Micah's trips to the river often leave him stuck in the mud. I guess little boys' shoes were made to get dirty.

(P.S. Another thing Micah discovered how to do is throw himself head first out of his crib to manipulate me into staying in his room for hours every night when I would much rather be sleeping. Without sleep, I become a crazy person, and lets just say it shown me a lot of not-so-pretty things about myself! So Micah hasn't been the only one making discoveries around here. I've discovered that I lean way too much on my own strength when it comes to parenting. I've gotten a new glimpse at the depths of sin in my heart, which means I've also discovered a new sense of awe and gratitude at the grace that has been shown me. I've been reminded that really, parenting, and if not parenting, just living, is all about grace, grace, grace, and more grace...where would I be without the Gospel??? So, discoveries get a little more complicated as you get older - but I'm so thankful God isn't through with me yet!)

No comments: