Saturday, April 4, 2009

Goodbye Crib, Hello Big Boy Bed!

I'm one of those moms who thought I would have my son in his crib until he was three...or, seriously? Until he learned how to climb out of his crib like a civilized person. Because what's more comforting to a tired momma/control freak than a safe and comfortable container for her child? I can't think of anything!

However, those days are over. My son will never learn how to climb out of his crib with skill because he learned how to throw himself head first over the edge first. And then, he did it on a regular basis, because he noticed a pattern. If he threatened to throw himself over the edge in a dramatic fit, I stayed in his room. Even if it was two in the morning. And I wouldn't leave - for hours. I noticed a pattern too: someone was in control, and it wasn't me. No longer was the crib working out for our family. The time had come for the big boy bed.

Sunday night, March 29th, was Micah's first night in his bed, and I am so impressed with how smoothly things have transitioned! We made a very big deal out of it, and so Micah was pretty excited about his big boy bed. He "helped" Daddy build it (like only a one-year-old can), and then we snuggled in to it for our new bedtime routine, which means mommy or daddy gets to be IN bed with Micah while we read him his bedtime story. Micah thinks that's pretty cool, and he has done so well. He is being so obedient, even waiting quietly in bed in the morning until I come and get him. I didn't even teach him that!

I am so thankful it has been so much easier than I thought it would be. I am convinced parenting will be easier the second time around (I think I see all the second-time moms rolling their eyes). I am just so scared of everything! I really relate to Grover in the book, "The Monster at the End of This Book." (Did I just say that?) The whole book he is scared because there is going to be a MONSTER at the END OF THIS BOOK!!! Well, in the end, the monster turns out to be HIMSELF. I think the greatest obstacle in every new parenting venture has seriously been me. Giving up nursing and the bottle and the crib, etc., would all have been much easier if I had not let fear get in the way. I make things into much bigger deals than they ever needed to be! I wonder if I really will learn my lesson the second time around?

No comments: